Friday, May 31, 2013

America bound!

After 10 hours on a plane and 7 hour drive I am finally back home! I truly enjoyed my time in London. It was a once in a life time opportunity that I am so glad I took. I learned so much about the justice system in the UK as well as the culture aspect of things. The things I experienced very few people are able to experience those things in a lifetime. Although I loved it over there and had a wonderful time I am loving being back in America. We drive on the right side of the street, can travel by car and not the tube or train, and most of all I am used to the food and love it here.  Right after we landed my parents took me to eat and we went to Texas Road house and I ate like I had been starving for days.
This is what I ate...yum!

One thing I was really looking forward to was coming home to some sunshine. Getting off the plane we were kindly greeted by 80 degree weather. On the drive home I was surprised how green everything was, it reminded me of London. When I got back to Wyoming the weather has been cold and rainy, so I really feel like I am still in London.
  Looking back I think I would like to go back some day! Do some of the things I didn't get to do this time around. London has so much to offer that it is just impossible to do everything in one trip. The London Eye, London Dungeon, and the Madame Tussauds are things I would fit in my schedule if I ever went back.

It's amazing to compare the two countries and see both the similarities and the differences. The two justice systems are both a major similarity as well as differences. Gun Control is a major difference we see in the two systems. England has a very strict law on gun control and, most police officers have never carried a gun. Richard, a Metropolitan Police we meet while over there had never carried a gun in his career as a police officer. To us as Americans we are shocked by that statement, because when we think of a police officer you simply associate them with a gun. In England there are some officers that do carry guns, and each police department has a specialized firearms unit. We saw several police officers that did carry guns in high security areas. Another thing I found interesting was that some cops commute by horse. Both systems are very similar because the American system came from the English common law.


No comments:

Post a Comment